Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sunflower Seeds

       Today was the most gorgeous day outside.  Audrey is working in the morning, but I don't need to go in until three, so I went out for a walk to do some more garbage picking.  I found a couple of things that would have been all right to use, except that they were in too much disrepair.  One was a wicker basket with "strawberries" written on the front, but the bottom of the wicker work was completely torn up.  So it was an uneventful day for new finds.
       I decided to go up on the roof and try to plant something.  Everytime I go up on the roof it seems that our neighbor's dog, Ciao Bella, has a small fit.  Oh well.  I brought my camera along to take some pictures as well. 

Here is a picture of yesterday's finds:


 Here is one of the roof space we'll be working with:


        We went to visit my parents in Syracuse a couple of weeks ago.  While we were there we went to the Saint Patrick's Day parade, and there was an environmental association handing out sunflower seeds.  As these are the only seeds that I currently have in my possesion, I have decided to plant these before going out to buy others.  I did a little bit of reading about sunflowers.  During their adolescent phase they love to turn their heads eastward to catch the sun as it rises.  I chose my box, and positioned it where it could see the eastern sky the best.  I think the box may be a bit small, and I may have overplanted it a bit, but I wanted to make sure I had some growth.  The seeds were planted 1/8" from the surface.  This is the planted box:


Now I just need to find something to label the plants with!

So to recap...

Assets allocated today: 
  • nada

Things accomplished:
  • Took some pictures
  • Got the sunflower seeds planted facing the East

Total amount spent so far
  • $21.75

No comments:

Post a Comment